From Field Notes:
We wanted to produce something bright and warm for this edition, and to do that we focused on the papers. It all started when we located a batch of Mohawk Via Vellum 80# “Yellow,” a stock we have always loved but never found the right project for, until now. In our estimation, the finish and structure of this paper was absolutely made for embossing and debossing. While we’ve experimented with that in the past, we’ve really pushed the limits here.
The covers are heavily debossed all over, with three original graphic patterns based on flowers that are among the very first to appear in the North American Spring each year: the (Mohavea confertiflora) in the Southwest, (Houstonia caerulea) in the East, and (Lasthenia conjugens) in the San Francisco Bay area. Then the covers were hot-stamped with three , Kurz Luxor Foils.
A first for us, the are made from Strathmore’s Cambric 70# text, a truly superb paper. The subtle, linen-like texture gives it a ton of character and we think writers and artists are really going to love it.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Active Graphic, Cicero, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Mohawk Via Vellum 80#C “Yellow,” debossed and hot-stamped with Kurz Luxor 361 foil on a Bobst SP102 BMA Foilmaster by LPI, New Berlin, Wisc.
- 03. Innards: Strathmore Cambric 70#T “Ultimate White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Yellow Crocus” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Komori Lithrone S40 40" 6-color offset printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer and Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM round-corner machine at Phoenix Binding, Itasca, Ill.
- 07. Dot-Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.